Think I'll surprise myself and do Patrick's question thing, haven't done it in awhile. Patrick’s Place » Saturday Six - Episode 232 What a yawn I can be lol. Okay let's do some C and P-ing here:
1. Do you think that capital punishment — as the system now operates — is a deterrent to crime on any level? Holy crap NO.
2. With changes and/or improvements to the justice system designed to better enforce capital punishment, do you think it could be a better deterrent to crime? Never. "Improvements" to this system of justice would mean removing the option of death as "punishment". You can change a bad law but not an unethical one - for that you'd have to abolish it - and you can't legislate moral conscience.
3. Should the punishment a man receives who kills a pregnant woman be worse than the punishment a man who kills a non-pregnant woman faces?
No, though you're killing two in the first instance, or the potential for two. But it doesn't matter - 1 or 1,000, taking life is murder, murder is an immoral choice, and making that choice should mean the same punishment each timeit's done. Yes, I mean Hitler should get the same 25 to life as the guy who strangles his cheating wife. Life is life is life, none is more valuable than another's. If you give the first guy more time because the woman was pregnant (hence another potential life) then it's like saying the non-pregnant woman's life was less valuable.
4. Take the quiz: What Felony Are You? Help yourselves to this one, guys, I saw my answer and almost called the police to come and arrest me. So, I'm staying mum on my felony, I have an ego to think of!
5. You stop by a post office to run in and mail a letter, knowing you’ll only be inside the building for 10 seconds. To park close to the door, there are only two options: you can either park in an open handicapped space (and assume you don’t have a handicapped permit) or park illegally in the fire lane. Would you take a handicapped space, park in the fire lane, or park in a legitimate, legal space and walk? Tricky. Since I'm handicapped, my answer is already biased. But if I wasn't? I'd park in the fire lane for those 10 seconds and risk the ticket - and other's lives I guess. But it's truth, sad to admit. I'd take the illegal space and rush those 10 seconds into 5 if I could, always watching for the cops.
6. Should police target people who use marijuana when there is no legitimate medicinal need for it? No. This is the trick question, right?
Hey this wasn't so bad. Thanks Jude, I clipped it from your place.