Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Comments About Comments About Cannibis

I'd just like to go on record to say how pleased I was to see that others hold a firm stand against marijuana, and all illicit use of drugs for that matter.  It's so far past discussion as to how harmful and destructive this inevitably is.  It wasn't so much the pot that bothered me, that just seemed silly.  It was the ease with which a person can form a cult and call it a religion.  Yet it's part of our freedoms, like it or not.  

An aside to Sugar, with due respect:  There appear to be many gods and goddesses worshipped on this earth.  When one believes in a monotheistic religion, such as the Judeo-Christian faith, they are practicing their right to worship the God they chose in the manner procribed by its tenets.  To flatly state "there is only ONE GOD period!" truly frightens me in that someone as bright as yourself could close off that mind to the existence for others of a different god than our own.  I, too, believe in one God, proferring my respect by capitalizing His name.  But it is my personal opinion, not written in stone, just as it is your opinion that the God you worship is the "One True God".  He is your One True God, He is not for many others, and their religions are as valid as ours.  Hinduism, Native American nature worship, would you not call these religions as truthful and sincere as our own?  We all make a personal choice, and in the Catholic faith, reciting the well-known "Apostles Creed" the very first words are:  "I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth."  It does not say "There is only one true God" it says "I BELIEVE in one God" and two words were never as plain.  WE BELIEVE, just as OTHERS BELIEVE as they do in their religions.  Neither side is wrong, meaning neither is absolutely right.   

You also say you have "no trouble with any true religion except when they worship more than one God".  I assume then, you have "trouble" with the ancient religion of Hinduism, for example.  Also, could you explain what comprises a "true religion" as you state?  I don't mean pot-smoking either, I'm serious.  The words you used are powerful.     

Sugar, when you dismiss all religions that are not your own, I feel you're saying "Believe as I do or you're doomed."  Surely you can't mean that.  I respect and welcome your opinions, would you explain their meaning?  Anyone who cares to add their views, please do.       

     

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this, and I want you to know that I did.  I don't want to discuss it, only because I'm in enough hot water with the VIVI's, I don't want to get scalded talking about religion.  I will say this though.. "To each his own.."  That about sums it up for me.

:)
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Uhhhmmmm, all I can say is truth is not subjective.  Everybody cannot be right at the same time!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I normally do not discuss religion or politics indepth unless I am face to face with someone because words typed or written (or even spoken for that matter) can be taken in many ways. What one says may not be exactly what they are trying to say at that time. I was simply stating my feelings & thoughts, I have stated many times before that I do not interfere with anothers beliefs. And I do not. However I have my own also.
The statement I made in a comment in your last entry:

There is only ONE GOD period! Be it a plant, animal, or whatever. End of subject. That's where I draw the line, no trouble with any religion (true relgion), except where they worship more than one God.

This was MY comment, I thought that was what comments were for.
Have a good night. :)
Sugar

Anonymous said...

hum... interesting topic I feel I am going to spoil by answering just with a few words, like that, in a response on your blog. But this is what I have to offer. I do think truth is subjective, and I have many Gods, different to my mood... I don't have the God cannabis for he bores me to death, but I have God computer, God Money, the God of Love... and so on... varies with the days... and I have fought my belief in God but this is a story of the past; despite my attraction for sciences, I also believe in God and there is no reason for it, this is purely spiritual. THE truth, outside of myself is a head thing. God and my belief is a spiritual thing, it is my subjective truth.
Voila
Valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/

Anonymous said...

My stance on religion is rather different from that taken by previous commentators. Religion is a method of coping with the large issues in life, based on scriptures of universal value. Everybody has their own way of coping with things like life and death, where do we come from, where are we going. It is wrong to ramrod your particular convictions down somebody else's throat. Religion is actually very personal, which is why many people feel very strongly about it. Sugar, as an ordained minister, has put her case quite eloquently.

A cult or sect, in my viewpoint, calls itself a religion, but is based on a set of values and premises that place it outside the mainstream of society. The consumption of cannabis, which is illegal, is an example. The use of brainwashing techniques, as allegedly used in certain sects (have to be careful here) is also commonly held to be unacceptable.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, if you sit on a fence post too long, you're going to end up with splinters.  

Anonymous said...

Harmful helpful I disagree. Mediacl cannabis all the way standing strong with my feelings,, speechless,,,,,,

Anonymous said...

obstructs http://cciworldwide.org/members/Electric-Blankets.aspx adversaries http://gotuc.net/members/Furnace-Filters/default.aspx railways http://gotuc.net/members/Vending-Machines/default.aspx employede http://gotuc.net/members/Kitchen-Cabinets/default.aspx earthy http://gotuc.net/members/Slipcovers/default.aspx civilians